Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Dithering

It has been more than a dozen years since I did anything with Quantum Field Theory, and something inside me wants me to do (a self-study) refresher course. But the practical side of me overrules it, what purpose could this serve? and so I keep on not starting. Why not? and Why? are evenly balanced.

The investment of time would be substantial; and successfully completing this task is kind of meaningless. On the other hand, it is something that some part of me wants to do, and meaning is after all, internal to oneself. Maybe it is in the same category of thing as exercising regularly. On the other hand, maybe I 'll find it boring after I start and then I can stop. Maybe I have a secret worry that I will find it to be quite the opposite of boring.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been dithering for 10 years now with "Gravitation" by Misner, Thorne and Wheeler. At least you don't (one hopes:-) have the kind of questions about "meaning" that agitated Ehrenfest's mind (which Einstein perceptively expressed in his tribute) and lead to his tragic end.

What is the current state of QFT ?

Arun said...

There seem to be all kinds of technical and conceptual advances in QFT (some of them based on string theory) since I last looked.

CapitalistImperialistPig said...

My QFT is now about 4 decades old, so it's not only forgotten but obsolete. I am thinking about digging into Peskin and Schroeder though. I will encourage you if you encourage me!

Arun said...

I was thinking of this one
Siegel