Monday, January 16, 2006

On a quote from Gandhi

The Pakistani duo of Aisha Fayyazi Sarwari and Yasser Latif Hamdani are of the apparent opinion that sufficient repetition can turn anything into fact. An instance is the quote they attribute to Mahatma Gandhi:

'I am a Hindu first and hence a true Indian'


More accurately, the quote is

There is undoubtedly a sense in which the statement is true when I say that I hold my religion dearer than my country and that, therefore, I am a Hindu first and nationalist after. I do not become on that score a less nationalist than the best of them. I simply thereby imply that the interests of my country are identical with those of my religion.


What is the nature of his religion and his nationalism?

I can neither serve God nor humanity if as an Indian I do not serve India, and as a Hindu I do not serve the Indian Mussalmans. 


To understand the crusade against Mahatma Gandhi, one has to understand that he is a bulwark of modern Indian secular democracy. Those who would destroy it must diminish Gandhi. This is as true of the rabid Hindu rightwingers in India as it is of Pakistanis.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ofcourse that Yasir and Ayesha are themselves secular nationalists for Pakistan blows so many holes in your "ilog" that its not even funny.

Gandhi, as ylh puts it, was a castest hindu fanatic. He was hardly an example of "secularism"...

Arun said...

LOL!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Truth, my friend, is nothing to laugh out loud about - as Gandhiji would probably say..

Arun said...

As long as anyone considers Jinnah's actions from 1938 onwards to be secular, that person's understanding of secularism can only be laughed at.