Monday, December 16, 2013

Pope Francis on Marxism

Via dailykos.com:
Pope Francis:  (emphasis added)
"The Marxist ideology is wrong. But I have met many Marxists in my life who are good people, so I don’t feel offended."

"The only specific quote I used was the one regarding the “trickle-down theories” which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and social inclusiveness in the world. The promise was that when the glass was full, it would overflow, benefiting the poor. But what happens instead, is that when the glass is full, it magically gets bigger nothing ever comes out for the poor. This was the only reference to a specific theory. I was not, I repeat, speaking from a technical point of view but according to the Church’s social doctrine. This does not mean being a Marxist."